Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sad day for the employees of AA

Today the airline I work for exposed their plans to gut everything from us that they didn't get back in 2003. I should be thankful, and I am that I will still have a job, but a job that I will barely recognize after its all said and done. This is the very first step, of a very long process. How will it affect me personally. To start, my health insurance will jump $183 each month. I will lose my incentive pay which equates to about $600 a month. There will be 100's of changes to the way I do my job. Some are welcome changes, like the ability to fly international, (i have been wanting to tap into that for a while). The elimination of full-month reserve (my on-call status 3 times a year) to having a few reserve days each month. The Biggest blow may be the announcement of transiting to a PBS (basically, everything I do for the bid service) will be going automated. How this affects what I do for the bid service, is yet to be seen. Hopefully there still will be a need for me. In the end, we all expected the cuts and changes to the contract, but across the board, we are all shocked at the depth of the cuts. 20%across the board cut from each department, 13,000 layoffs company wide (2300 flight attendants). But If I have a job, and good health, It will all be workable, just no longer enjoyable!

3 comments:

Ryan's mom said...

YOu are always able to see the postive side of things. I am proud of you Ryan!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there son; the bumpy ride eventually gets better!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there son; the bumpy ride eventually gets better!